The Firefox team has recently started using small, well-scoped projects as a way to speed development and to better split up and coordinate tasks among many developers. Since these projects are typically small and have well defined goals, we’re also using them train ourselves to communicate more effectively and more often (has it really been three years since I last blogged‽) about what our team is up to.
My project for the last couple weeks has been startup performance – mainly focusing on identifying and fixing areas where file IO is causing us pain. Working with David, Dietrich, Drew, Vlad and Taras, we’ve found and have started working on some potential wins.
I didn’t have much time this week due to a cold and dealings with lawyers, but I started wrapping my head around the component loader in order to try having components packaged as a single JAR so that we can cut down on individual file reads during cold, non-fastload backed startups and
stats in the warm case.
As far as what’s on tap for the next week I need to:
- Write tests and finalize the patch for bug 507073.
- Figure out the right direction for bug 507101.
- Push to get outstanding reviews looked at. This has mostly been an issue of vacations and bandwidth and they’ll hopefully see some action within the next week.
- File a bug with my findings for JAR’d components as I don’t really have the platform chops to properly tackle it 😉